Interview with Juan Merodio - Founder and CEO of TEKDI Institute
We interviewed Juan Merodio, Founder and CEO of TEKDI Institute, who tells us about the importance of online presence for businesses and how social networks are an essential channel for an effective digital marketing strategy. He also talks about digital marketing trends and the keys to create a good content strategy.
- Having an online presence is necessary for businesses today, but many of them do not know how to act when launching a new product. What digital marketing actions would you recommend to businesses that want to launch a new product and gain online presence?
Nowadays, to launch a new product and give it a digital presence, we must do it with the minimum budget possible and offer it to those who can afford to buy it. We must see if that product has a good entry into the market, see if people are attracted to it.
Another aspect to evaluate is how to reach the customers that are able to buy my product. One of the best ways to do this is through digital advertising, with a small budget, and try to reach a specific type of customer.
- Social networks are an essential channel in a digital marketing strategy, but many times businesses do not know how many they should be present in or what kind of content to publish, etc. What would you recommend in this regard?
When we ask ourselves in which social networks, we should be present, we must evaluate two important factors:
How many resources do I have to be excellent in each social network, i.e. do we have the resources to generate excellent content in each social network? This is not simple. It is better to be excellent in only one social network, than to be in several in a lighter way. We must look at which social network our customers are mainly on.
From this point, we must consider that we should not make commercial content. For this type of content, we have advertising. The contents that we should make, in this sense, are those that can help our potential customer. These contents can be informative, educational, etc.
- What do you consider to be the new digital marketing trends for this year, and how can a business put them into practice?
I will focus on trends that can be applicable to businesses. There is one that, although it is not new, can be interesting.
Podcasts have grown tremendously in the last two years. 40% of people who use the Internet listen to at least one podcast a week.
A podcast is totally free, you don't need any infrastructure or technical knowledge to make one and, in addition, it is a very grateful channel in the short term, people come to your podcast without investing in advertising.
It is a very useful strategy to make a weekly podcast, with valuable content for your customers, being able to make an "advertising wedge" about your products.
- Following with trends, how do you see the consumer of 2022 compared to the consumer before the pandemic or 2 years ago, and what actions do you recommend to impact and connect with consumers now?
The consumer of 2022 is much more informed when it comes to shopping. This forces us to have to work a lot on trust, since it is more complicated to earn it on the Internet than in physical sales.
In an online storethe consumer is alone and to buy something, they have to enter their data, their credit card details, etc. This generates distrust. Therefore, if we are not able to convey that confidence, the consumer will eventually go elsewhere.
To counteract this, we can use social validation, which is basically recommendations from your customers in your online store. We usually make a purchase by similarity; when we see that many people have bought the product, we tend to feel more confident and will be more likely to buy it ourselves.
- How do you think a company should act in case of suffering an online reputation crisis, for example from a series of negative comments on their networks? How could you avoid reaching this reputation crisis?
We should not call a series of negative comments a reputation crisis. We should not take it to an emotional level. Except in a case that it gets out of hand, having some bad comments is not a serious problem.
What we should do is check whether these comments are real, from real customers. This is because sometimes, the competition can post negative comments, which are totally false. If this is the case, you should not hesitate to delete them. And if this keeps happening, you could also block them. When we respond to comments of this type, we are giving them more visibility, so it is better not to respond and, if applicable, delete them.
On the other hand, the positive comments and recommendations we mentioned before will help us to avoid these possible crises.
- What are the keys to create a good content strategy?
Many times, we do not know what is considered valuable content for our customers. A very helpful tool is Google.
We must go to the search bar and write the topic with which your product is related. This way, an automatic list of words or phrases related to people's searches and that are related to your product will be displayed. This is real data from people's searches.
From here you can get ideas about what content can be created in this regard.